Sunday, October 07, 2007

Mormon Celebrity

There was a brief period of time in my life when I enjoyed my 15 minutes of Mormon Celebrity.

If you remember 20 months into my mission to Colombia, S.A. they evacuated the American missionaries. Instead of finishing my mission I was released and sent home. So for a few months I gave firesides and embellished the stories of our heroic rescue.

But the novelty faded...

Then I decided to marry someone with more captivating mission story. Mindy and her companion were the first Sister Missionaries in Hungary and only the 5th and 6th missionaries in the entire country.

Her story is still going strong...

This weekend Mindy was invited to be interviewed by the Church for a possible documentary and submit her entire journal to be microfiched for church records. She got to wander the halls of Church Headquarters, pop in on General Authorities and chat, and Elder Nelson spoke at their reunion on Friday night.

I was home cooking spaghetti and mopping the floor.

As I should be. I got real lucky with this one. I try and stay on my best behavior.

8 comments:

Heather C. said...

That's awesome! I have a friend about my age who served in Hungary and she said they still talk about Sister Moffatt. It's nice to have someone famous in the family :)

Cindy Thomas said...

She is DEFINITELY IN with the right crowd Eldon - stick with her!

Peg and Parker said...

You both are "the" couple to be copied. I share stories of you both and tell the courtship story too. Just think though... I have slept in your guest room! That might give me some stature in Mormondom? Prolly not. Heart, Peg

Melissa said...

I'm not worthy! You guys are awesome.

Tom Earl said...

You are a celeb in my mind....My attorney son is all fired up to go to Wharton Business School!

Madge said...

People in our ward still talk about you coming home from you mission early!

Anonymous said...

Eldon: Don't downgrade your fabulous escape. At your homecoming I was on the edge of my seat as you sped away in a cab, pedal to the metal.

Anonymous said...

Gosh Eldon, you are so lucky to be married to someone like Mindy. Maybe you'll get to be interviewed for history's sake after you guys go on a mission together!