Monday, June 25, 2007

17 Years Ago

Last week there was a reunion for my Israel Study Abroad group. It has been 17 years since I went.
(Which begs the question why have a reunion at 17 years?)

I was planning on going but wimped out at the last minute because of too many things going on at home. In spite of missing the fun, I did spend some time thinking about my 6 months in the West Bank.

Several class mates submitted very poignant essays recalling every detail of the deep friendships formed 17 years ago. I on the other hand don't remember ever even talking to most of my classmates. Many claimed it was the seminal event in their lives and had shaped and guided all their spiritual progression since. I on the other hand remember skinny dipping in the Sea of Galilee.

I did pull out some old pictures to spur my amnesia.

Turns out I thought I was pretty cool. I had only been off my mission 4 months and I was ready to strut my stuff. Here I am in the Paris airport waiting to catch the flight to Israel. Notice the size of my glasses and my "cool" bag from Colombia.


Keeping on the theme of thinking I was cool, shortly after arriving we had a talent show. We got a group together and lip synced "Jam to the Mother", an early Rap classic, with a highly choreographed routine. Here we are showing our attitude. (although we did bring the house down)

We were there during the first Intifada. This was the good ole days of throwing rocks instead of blowing yourself up. Below is a picture of the Palestinian village below as it is being tear gassed.


We got to travel around...


...and hang out with girls.



But my favorite memory was sitting on Ben Yahuda street and eating a shwarma with a coke. Turns out the street is famous for its bombings over that last 40 years. Which is why I must have liked hanging out there so much.


And surprisingly I took some decent photos over there. I can't remember for the life of me taking these shots but I like them. I think they are both in Egypt as we traveled around the Nile.




So 17 years later I realize a couple of things. First I am not nearly as cool as I thought I was. Second, I probably shouldn't have gone skinny dipping. And third, I wish I could remember more of that amazing experience.

But I do remember one moment that has stuck with me. I was wandering around the Old City with a friend when we heard that President Howard W. Hunter was going to be in the Garden of Gethsemane. So we ran across town and over to the Garden. When we arrived we found President Hunter alone, except for his wife, in his wheel chair. We spent what seemed like an eternity with him as he asked us questions about ourselves and also talked about the events that happened in the Garden. I never forgot how I felt being around a Prophet in that most holy of places.

So despite my attitude it's possible Israel was a seminal event for me as well and one that has shaped me. Maybe when we have the next reunion in 23 1/2 years I might just go.

9 comments:

kt said...

Eldon, turns out a member of my bishopric in the Stanford ward was in your Jerusalem group: Greg Jensen. Pretty funny stuff.

Karren T.

Eldon said...

Greg is a great guy. One I actually remember and knew well. Don't believe any of his stories about me though!

I enjoy your thoughts for the day.

Madge said...

I don't remember you ever telling us that you sat & talked with Pres. Hunter!

Eldon said...

All kinds of secrets get revealed on a Blog

Anonymous said...

Wow - it's a shame that the experiences there are not available anymore. I am jealous.

Brent and April said...

Great pictures! You were there for six months?! That's cool.

Cindy Thomas said...

The Jerusalem Center is once again open. I hope it's available when our kids are old enough!

AliceK[i]ND said...

Eldon, who is the guy on the left end in the 2nd photo? He looks really familiar.

Eldon said...

Tyler Wallis. A great friend. He grew up in Ohio. Now lives in San Antonio with his 4 kids and wife, who he met on Study Abroad.