Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wasted on the Ungrateful

On Sunday afternoon I found myself settled into my favorite chair on the back porch. I had just gotten up from a nap and picked some plums off the tree and was enjoying the cool afternoon.

All was quiet.

I wandered back into the house and puttered around. I was already bored.

Mindy had left a few hours ago driving to Arizona with the two boys and her mother. The girls were already there.

So I called her. But soon someone needed her and she had to go.

I read. I watched some TV. I cleaned. Then I called her again. But she had just arrived and there hugs and catching up that had to be done so she had to go.

I had no boys to bathe, no stories to read, no girls to chase to bed.
My bedtime routine was all off. So I laid there for a long time staring at the ceiling.

No one said goodbye to me when I left for work.

By the end of my work day I had called Mindy at least 10 times - with no answer.

I arrived home to an empty house. No kids begging me to jump on the trampoline with them. I called her again.

Oops she said, the phone was on vibrate. She asked if everything was ok. I started to answer but then I could hear the boys in the background. The water in their shower was cold! She had to go.

Back to the ceiling.

We finally had a real conversation on Tuesday. Mindy excitedly asked me what I had been doing. She wanted me to describe in detail my hours of solitude. Ahhhhh, I could hear her sigh. "I would give anything to be alone in our house."

I commented that it wasn't as fun as it sounded.

Her voice raised as she began her retort: "You have no idea....(the sounds of wailing and gnashing of teeth)...I gotta go."

Only 1 more day until I fly into Phoenix and back to the chaos.

Ahhhh. I can't wait

6 comments:

Brent and April said...

I have been suffering for 3 weeks now. I have all the knots in the wood above my bed named. Only one more lonely night to go.

Peg and Parker said...

Mindy is amazing Eldon. I swear she has more than two hands and a great attitude to boot! Just so you know, she is ready for the reinforcements(you) to arrive. We have loved having the fam here with us.

Cindy Thomas said...

I know how Mindy feels! I sometimes LONG for an empty house, (all to myself) just ONCE in a while...

But way in the back of my mind I know "one day that day will come" and I WILL NOT like it one bit!

Heather C. said...

umm, once again I'm right there with Mindy.

Russell Nielson said...

Eldon, you hit the nail on the head. We recruit our childern to live with us after they are married in order to avoid the situation you described.

Shari said...

Oh man, just one full day alone in my house would be HEAVEN!!!! Hey, at least you got a nap.