Saturday, June 21, 2008

Visions of Glory

The first time on my new mountain bike, which was last October, I struggled up a slight hill.

The first time I rode with some friends they waited for me as I huffed and puffed.

But over the months I spent more and more time in the saddle. I began to conquer hill after hill and slowly moved to the head of the pack.

You could say that I began developing a slight case of Hubris.

Late one night while perusing mountain biking web sites, while I should have been blogging, I came across a site for a mountain bike race. They billed the event as the perfect way to get into racing. Although it was held on the same venue as a famous race that happens once a year, it was a much smaller gathering than the big race.

Hmmm.....

I thought about it for several weeks - while I trained just a little bit harder, wondering.

I started asking friends if they would be interested in signing up with me for the race on June 21. But with school just out everyone had a busy schedule, except me.

So I registered on-line and got my confirmation.

As Mindy can attest I was a little annoying as I spent weeks preparing for this race. I even had to promise her that if she let me do this one race I would "chill out" about this biking thing.

The night before the race I got myself organized.

I left the house at 6:45am for the 1 hour drive to the race site, planning on plenty of time to arrive, register and warm-up before the 9am start time.

There was an eerie calm when I arrived. Instead of banners and registration tables I saw one lone truck and a guy pulling off his mountain bike. When I asked him about the race he shrugged his shoulders and rode off. I knew I was in the right spot because I recognized it from the pictures on the internet. So for the next hour I drove around asking everyone if they new about a race.

But 9am came and went without anyone showing up.

I did finally get on my bike and go for a ride - all by myself.

I still don't know what happened.

When I called Mindy and told her what happened I could hear the disappointment in her voice. After a moment of silence she blurted out:

"Does this mean you still haven't gotten this out of your system"?

Nope. Not yet.

3 comments:

Loretta and Richie said...

I'm impressed you still went out for a bike ride!

Cindy Thomas said...

I'm still a bit confused - I keep reading and re-reading this blog Eldon but can't understand what happened TO THE RACE? Did you go the wrong weekend? Did they cancel it and not tell anyone? Was it a $$ scam?

Shari said...

Yah, you sort of left us hanging on this one!

Quick, sign up for another, more reputable race so you can get over your obsession!

By the way, my husband has entered your obsession although on a much smaller scale....so far....