We have become accustomed to occasionally being awakened in the middle of the night by a scared, crying child who is having a nightmare.
It's usually the typical kinda stuff triggered by something that happened earlier that day.
If I kill a spider in the girls room Paige (10), who suffers from an extreme case of arachnophobia, will be sure to wake up about 2am with wild stories of things crawling on the ceiling.
Kate (7) seems to be affected by watching villains on screen. Her middle of the night panic attacks usually revolve around being chased by the most recently watched bad guy.
But it is Garrett (4) who truly suffers and is tormented during his much needed REM sleep. His nightmare's break my heart.
Last night at 3am we were awakened by Garrett's uncontrollable sobbing. Mindy quickly ran in to see what the problem was and try and console him.
Mindy: What's wrong honey?
Garrett: (still crying and blubbering)
Mindy: It's ok. Did you have a nightmare?
Garrett: I...I...(a couple of wails) didn't get any... any.... dessert tonight!!
Mindy: Yes you did. You had a nice big bowl of ice cream.
Garrett: No... No... I didn't get any!
Mindy: It's just a nightmare. Sometimes it seems real but I promise you had ice cream.
It took Mindy another 1/2 an hour to calm Garrett down, continually reassuring him he did enjoy ice cream with the rest of the family.
But oh the horror... the horror...

7 comments:
Even when I tell you stuff at 3am I guess it's fair game to blog. Too funny.
When we move to San Diego next year(ish), I am calling dibs on being the surrogate mother/2nd cousin of your children. Seriously.
Hee hee. I get pretty scared if I don't get ice cream either. (oh ya, he had ice cream) Nightmares...
Well Mrs. Elizabeth we need all the help we can get. Let us know when you make it to the promised land.
Poor Garrett. He reminds me of another little Thomas guy who needed his dessert...
http://domesticlegion.blogspot.com/2006/05/life-of-three-year-old-boy.html
Too funny! I love it. Haylee doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night but she does love to tell me her cute-4-year-old dreams in the morning.
Kids- the best blog fuel. I would gladly come play as well... but there would have to be ice cream. I refuse to come if there is no ice cream.
Post a Comment