Sunday, January 14, 2007

I Have a Dream

I have a dream that one day this boy will be able to sleep 8 hours in one night

I have a dream that some afternoon, in the not to distant future, this boy will be able to nap, uninterrupted

I had this dream today, a rare Sunday for me with no early morning meetings or afternoon meetings.

But still only a dream

There are three things that prevent me from sleeping in

Here is Thing 1, and Thing 2



Thing 3 is my sweet wife, who quietly rolls over when Thing 1 and Thing 2 become unbearable, and says "Are you going to get up with them or do you want me to"

Quickly I translate her comment to Male speak "Dude, you so owe me. If you make me get out of bed and tend your little brats I will remember, yes I will remember"

So I think "$^&@", but I answer in wife speak "I got it, you sleep in"

Now I am tenuously holding on to the hope of an afternoon nap. I slip away from the family and ease under the covers.

Of course all 4 kids decide to play "doggy", which entails putting leashes on each other and running around barking and acting like dogs.

At this point I am faced with a dilemma. I could solve this as I have many times before. I could leap from my bed, throw open the door, and bellow "knock it off. I don't want to hear another sound or no TV for a week. You go to your room, you go downstairs, and you..."

But if I do that, I have learned it means a lot of work to get back my "snuggle rights" with the boss of the house. So I cover my head with my pillows, which never works because I just lay there tortured by the injustices heaped upon me.

But I will not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
And so even though I face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Male psyche.

And when this happens, when we allow sleep to happen, when we let it occur in the morning and the afternoon, when Sunday truly becomes a day of rest, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual:
Sleep at last! Sleep at last!
Thank God Almighty, we can Sleep at last!

3 comments:

Heather C. said...

funny, we ALL took a 3 hour nap today. I'm living the dream bro

Eldon said...

Your time will come girl. Just you wait.

Thanks for commenting. I begin to wonder if anybody reads my dribble.

Cindy Thomas said...

Oh Eldon, we ALL feel your pain! I am SOOOOOOOO jealous of Heather & Mike - I WANT THOSE DAYS BACK! I really miss them.