Thursday, January 11, 2007

Stuck In A Rut

A few years ago I decided to shake things up at work. Every time someone asked me

"How's it going?"

I resolved to say anything but "fine", or "great" or some other trite response.

I just couldn't take the monotony of the routine any more. At least 5 times a day someone asked “How's it going?”, and each time, without thinking, I responded in the positive.

So now every time I am asked I have only one response. This is how it goes.

Co-worker: Hey how's it going?
Me: I'm not sure yet, it's still early
Co-worker: (slight chuckle) yeah I hear you (or some other attempt at being witty)

But here's the problem. Now I say this every single time, to everyone, regardless of the time of day. Every time I get my slight chuckle and lame response.


It has now become a game. Will anyone notice I give the same, silly response every single time? Everyday I anxiously wait for someone to call me out, expose me.


Or maybe just notice me. I’m such a rebel.

No comments: