Monday, December 04, 2006

Sweet Bowling Skills

During our family reunion this Thanksgiving we had a bowling expedition. The event was rather typical until my Nephew started trash talking about his skills as a bowler.

Now I had just bowled a 105 game, which is about on par for me. (105 is really bad) But I couldn't not respond to the trash talk. You see this little nephew owns his own bowling ball, so I threw down a challenge. Anybody who owns their own ball must be humiliated.

It was me, trash talker and his brother. The comments are flying as this nephew starts the game with a strike. But I channeled some King Pin vibe, a vision of who I could have been if I had been a child of the 70s or 60s or some era long ago when people bowled.

I started popping off strikes, and the nephew started missing. Final score: Eldon: 175, Trash talker: 114, Nephew 2: 112

By this time we have a little crowd starting to gather. Trash Talker starts taunting me for another game. No way I could ever bowl another game like that, it was just pure luck. Even though I knew he was right it was game on!!

What ensued was not bowling, but trash talking with a couple of pins falling here and there. As we get to the last frames it's a tight game, with both of us just hoping to break 100. The bowling league players a few lanes down couldn't understand all the cheering and excitement about such a pitiful display.

So the game comes down to one last bowl. My last bowl. The crowd has gathered, the banter is at full pitch. I have one single pin standing in the middle of the lane. If I knock it down, I win. Miss it and I lose.


Now look at Trash Talking nephew, the one in the middle. You tell me who knocked over that pin.

YES!!

Validation. I'm bad, uh huh

Just wish I hadn't dropped the winning pass in the Turkey Bowl the day before.

3 comments:

Jeff Lee said...

Very funny, obviously trying to find yourself from inadequecies at Aspen Grove

Eldon said...

At least I can win at something! Aspen is too depressing

Heather C. said...

Wait till you see the Aspen Grove Video :)