Wednesday, December 05, 2007

O' Tanenbaum

Over the past several weeks the kids have been looking forward to our annual trek to get our Christmas tree.

Each of the kids waxed eloquent about the blissful experience of selecting a tree. The sights, the smells, etc. Even Ryan (2) who can't remember last year, followed the lead of his siblings and talked a good game.

With all this excitement from the kids I also started to look forward to getting the tree and kicking off the holiday season in our home.

But there was a Grinch around the house: Mindy.

Every time the topic of the tree came up, she would direct her comments my way and inform me, once again, about all the merits of a fake Christmas tree.

Sacrilege I said. Just listen to the little ones. How could we break with a tradition that meant so much to them?

So last Saturday finally arrived and we headed off to the same nursery we have visited the last 6 years. And just to show Mindy how wrong she was I vowed this would be the best Christmas Tree outing yet.

Yeah.

The kids fought the whole way. As soon as we arrived everyone had to go the bathroom. It started to rain. Garrett (4) and Ryan (2) started jumping in puddles. I picked out the perfect tree to which Mindy said "too big and too expensive". Paige (10) and I pleaded our case but Mindy stayed firm that we must select a smaller tree. Paige goes into hysterics convinced her entire Christmas will be ruined by this "tiny tree". Garrett starts loudly complaining "can't we just get one and go home".

I finally agree to the "mini-tree" and pay a whopping, California price.

The kids fight and scream all the way home to which we respond in a proper Christmas Spirit: EVERY ONE ON TIME OUT NOW!

While the kids sulk in their room Mindy and I get the tree up.

Darn it - the tree is the perfect size. Mindy is gracious and holds her tongue - she's used to being right.

Several hours later after stringing what seems to be endless lights and vacuuming up piles and piles of pine needles my will is finally broken.

I blurt out "OK you win. To hell with tradition we will look for a fake tree after Christmas"

She better hurry before my infamous memory fades. It won't be too long and I will be convinced that our little family skipped along, holding hands, and harmonizing Christmas carols as we were divinely led to the perfect tree.

Which if I forget about 95% of the experience it really is the perfect tree.

8 comments:

Madge Thomas said...

Welcome to my side! I'm not so bad after all!!

Brent and April said...

We will be going out into the forest to get our tree today. We paid a whopping $10 for our permit. No fake trees at our house!

Melissa said...

We got a real tree for 10 years. Then we too realized that it wasn't all that fun going out and getting a tree. Jeff burst my bubble and we are part of the fake tree gang. Best purchase yet - especially the PRE-LIT tree. You can't beat it!

mumovearls said...

Oh come on! that was the perfect tree outing! (It just makes our family not look so bad) WE joined the fake tree league this year and it's GREAT! Just look at the 3 piece trees and get it pre-lit! Save yourself! -n

Anonymous said...

Eldon, you are such a Santa!!!

Peg and Parker said...

So everything looks great! I love the wreath and I thank you for the blogging help. I will shake this Techno-spaz image yet!

Julie said...

Eldon, this is your family site so I hate to make comments but I just have to say few things. First of all, you need to learn the art of bribery. You start the day out by telling your kids if they don't behave there will be no tree (and you have to be willing to get in the car and drive away). Second, you need to be patient a few more years and teach your kids the specific roles played in Christmas Tree purchasing, setting up and decorating. For years Tom and I spent endless hours putting on the 1500 light minimum that Tom requires and hating ever minute of it. We are not talking about just throwing the lights on the tree. They have to be painstakingly wrapped around each individual branch to give the perfectly well balanced glow. We are talking a 3 or 4 night process (but wow what an end result). And then there was a changing of the guard. For the last 10 years we go get the tree come home, Tom puts it in the stand and he and I never do another thing. It's all about the kids. They want this beautiful, tall, fresh, nice smelling tree and so they are responsible for it. It's a wonderful thing and we still get a fresh Tree!

Anonymous said...

Tradition at our house is I want to get the tree and decorations done on Thanksgiving weekend! Fred, Mr. Bah-Humbug, doesn't go and get a tree until around Dec 15 and that is only after the kids fight over who gets to choose the overpriced fireball. Since I put on Christmas (the shopping which I hate, and wrapping which I enjoy and the cooking which I love), he gets to decorate the tree. Needless to say there was one Christmas when after I pitched a holy fit, Christmas tree and decorations happened on Dec 23 and were gone by Dec 26. Christmas 2007 was the last year for a live tree at our house...we are going artificial and prelit next year, and the critical part is that all things Christmas will be in the garage and not up in the attic where I have not control when they come down!