Saturday, December 17, 2011

Too Old for Santa but...

It's tough being the youngest kid as Ryan (6) can attest in many ways.  Upon request he can provide a long list of inequities that exist in his life.


But he is unaware of one injustice wrought upon him, mainly by his older brother Garrett (8).  Garrett has educated Ryan, much too early,  about the reality of Santa.


When Ryan first heard the awful truth he was a little reluctant to believe it.  He protested and defended Santa, but the onslaught from Garrett and the older siblings finally convinced him.  


But it seemed as if Ryan wasn't ready to give up believing.  When we brought home a new book about Elf's that are toys during the day, but travel back to Santa each night, Ryan was intrigued.




His intrigue turned to wide eyed belief when he woke up in the morning and went searching for the Elf and found him.  He ran into our room that morning with that look that is so intoxicating to parents:  true belief.  He has been waking up early every morning to go and find the new hiding place, and eagerly shows everyone in the family.


I love having a believer in the home.  


I'm going to miss this.

2 comments:

maccam said...

ha ha! A patient of mine- just this week- told me about this amazing little "devise." I think this year it will creep McKenna out but, I'm totally getting for next year. Elf on the shelf. Brilliant.

Unknown said...

I just heard about it this year too and it cracks me up. I heard of someone who wrapped phony gifts so she could threaten to burn them if need be. Hilarious. ...and mean, of course. PS- so glad to see you are still blogging! See you guys in a few days!