Sunday, February 08, 2009

Don't Forget To Take Pictures

Since breaking my rib on New Years day I haven't been doing too much mountain biking. About the closest I have come was yesterday. I decided to thoroughly clean my bike which was still caked in dirt from before Christmas.

I invited Garrett (5) and Ryan (3) to help. We turned my bike upside down and began spraying, brushing and drying. I went so far as to get an old toothbrush and really go after some grime in hard to reach places.

Garrett and Ryan were having fun spinning the front tire as I dug for dirt.
While I was hunched over my back tire Garrett suddenly began running for the house screaming for "Mom".

I called to him but he kept running.

I hadn't seen what had happened so I sat there for a few seconds analyzing his cries. Finally his pitch and tone convinced me I should at least go in and see what was wrong. As I walked towards the house I started noticing the drops of blood.


I picked up my pace and found Mindy holding a bloody paper towel on Garrett's left index finger. Mindy and I both looked as I pulled back the wrapping and looked at the wound.


Wow.
We instantly knew he was headed to the hospital.


There was a fair amount of commotion as we tried to figure out who was going to do what while Garrett continued wailing and all the other kids and their friends crowded around to ogle at all the blood.


At last Mindy headed off to the hospital with Garrett.
After they drove off I cleaned up the blood and calmed the kids down. But then I remembered something critical.

I called Mindy's cell phone. She didn't answer. I called again, and again and again. I was panicked that she had forgotten to take her cell phone.


Finally she called back.

Me:
Hey

Mindy:
What is it?

Me:
Don't forget to take pictures

Mindy:
Is that why you keep calling me?


Yep, I was panicked that I wouldn't have any pictures for a Blog.
So thanks to my insistence we have pictures of what happens when you stick your fingers into the hydraulic brakes of a tire that is spinning.


It looked even worse in person



Garrett putting on a good face


6 stitches later

3 comments:

Cindy Thomas said...

I'm so glad he's smiling... it makes me not feel his pain!

Melissa said...

Garrett makes the best blog posts! (Poor guy)
(PS glad you remembered the pictures - hee hee)

Shari said...

Later in the years you'll all be looking back, reminiscing (sp?) and the other kids will say, "Um, all the blogs are of Garrett!"

Loved the pictures and am dying laughing that you were insistent on them.