Monday, January 19, 2009

The Best Day Ever

I have a pitiful track record with birthdays. I always fall for it when Mindy says "I don't really want anything, don't worry about it."

You would think after almost 17 years of marriage I wouldn't take things so literal.

As a refresher to my ineptitude see the following:

The Politics of Birthdays

and my most recent spectacle:

The First 40

So to say I was surprised when, the Friday morning before my birthday, Mindy told me to pack a bag and make sure to be out of work by 3pm is an understatement.

One the one hand I was physched - a weekend without the kids! But I also knew she had done it to me once again, outclassed me on the celebrations.

After escaping work I was given directions to a boutique hotel in Laguna beach with ocean views.


One famous for their breakfasts, which didn't disappoint.

Saturday night Mindy had reservations at my favorite restaurant on Balboa Island, a small place with just a few tables.

So I didn't suspect a thing.

But when we walked in I was surprised by David Clark who had flown in from AZ.

And Tyler Wallis who had come all the way from Dallas.

Two of my closest friends, who I was least expecting to see. I still can't believe they flew out just for a dinner. It was humbling.

We were joined by some other close friends who were locals and had an amazing meal. I frequent this restaurant for lunch on a regular basis and have gotten to know the owner but I had never been there for dinner. The owner served us a menu she came up with based on what I typically order and at least I thought it was perfect.


My lack of blogging is all the more horrific by what Mindy did next.

Mindy informed all my friends of my writing and that instead of gifts they each needed to "write" something about me and present it at the dinner. She prepped them to be witty instead of sappy.

The result was hilarity throughout the evening as these grown men rattled off their poetic riffs on Eldon. They were incredibly good, but terribly incriminating.

The highlight was a multi-page quiz that David Clark put together. I have known David since 2nd grade and his memory of my embarrassing and compromising situations is uncanny. The details he remembered were amazing. I didn't even score 100% on the quiz!!!

Mindy got everything right that weekend and I was surprised by how much her effort and the surprise dinner meant to me.

A great way to crest the hill and start the long, slow downhill descent.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Jeez Lueeze it's about time!!!!

Your wife has definitely shown you up. What a great birthday surprise.

Happy Birthday!