Thursday, November 06, 2008

37 1/2 Pounds

I have noticed a tangible result of the secular assault on traditional holidays - over the years Halloween is becoming the most celebrated holiday at schools. With Christmas and Easter off limits more and more attention is focused on something we can all share: Witches, Devils, Death, Black Magic and The Macabre.

The rise of Halloween has required that we upgrade our children's Halloween bags to carry the increased bounty. At the end of the sugar frenzy, which included Trunk or Treat at the ward, School Parties and finally Trick or Treating, we tallied the combined loot of the four kids. 37 1/2 pounds of crap.

All our kids except for Garrett (5) are candy freaks. Given the opportunity they would gorge themselves until their body revolted. Garrett likes his chocolate, but in moderation. Ryan (3) is maybe the most addicted to the sugar high.


Paige (11) is nearing the end of her Trick or Treating career. She senses there are only a few years left. Can you pick her out of the 6th grade crowd at the Halloween Parade?


I'm more than ready to move on to holidays with actual time off work and real food!

3 comments:

Shari said...

I'm so with you!!! I am, turns out, one of the very few people in this world who sort of wishes Halloween could be done away with completely.

Butch and I decided that Thanksgiving is by far our favorite since the whole purpose is to relax, eat, be thankful and eat some more.

Cindy Thomas said...

Ben & Zach's orthodontist was offering $2 a pound the day after Halloween. $1 to the kids and $1 to the Homeless Shelter. Then he mailed the candy overseas to the troops. Let's rot their teeth out! Hee Hee

Anonymous said...

I love your blog-I read it all the time. I completely agree with you on the whole Halloween growing into this huge holiday. You seem like a great parent-it's nice to see a dad in the blogging world.