Thursday, May 15, 2008

Get Out Of My Way

My latest obsession is Mountain Biking.

After not having a bike for 10 years I am making up for lost time by biking every spare moment I can get.

And with each ride my endurance and confidence grows. Which is not necessarily a good thing since I don't lack self esteem.

My hubris got me into a sticky situation the other day.

Typically I go deep into the canyons behind our home and avoid the novice bikers that crowd the wide, fire roads.

But on this particular day I was short of time, so I took the road more traveled. I encountered numerous riders but as I motored past them I realized that instead of being annoyed I was enjoying the crowd to witness my new skills.

Soon I came to a section I knew well. I was going to drop down a hill, round a corner, then head up another long hill. If I went racing down the hill I could carry my momentum into the next climb.

As I came screaming down the hill there was a family leisurely riding along, as I weaved through them and continued around the corner I could tell they were intently watching me.

I beamed with pride.

I turned the corner to begin my climb and there was one rider, a woman in her late 50's, moving slowly ahead of me, drifting from one side of the road to the other. She was heading left, so I went right. But then she came right, so I went left...

We ran into each other in the middle of the road.

Luckily I had slowed down so we got tangled in each other but neither of us fell down.

It was at this moment I noticed two things:

1. As I looked down I saw this woman's right leg was a prosthetic leg
2. And from around the corner I could hear people yelling: Mom! Grandma!!

As they say, go big or go home.

4 comments:

Brent and April said...

You will have to bring your bike to Show Low and show off your mad skills. It will be hard for me to see them since I will be in front of you, but I'll try and see them. : )

elizabeth said...

You're going to hell for that one, Eldon.

Loretta and Richie said...

SO fun that you're writing again. Your entries always make me smile and sometimes laugh out loud. Seriously, what a beautiful camping spot. If only kids could hold their poo for two days.

Shari said...

Too freaking funny!