The event was for the executives of my company and featured a special guest speaker - Colin Powell.

The evening was to start at 6pm with cocktails and hor dourves. Typically most people would arrive fashionably late for a corporate dinner. But when we walked through the door at 6:10pm we were one of the last to arrive. Everyone seemed a little more chatty than usual. And you had a sense that as they listened to you they were keeping one eye on the door, waiting for the guest of honor. Admittedly the excitement made it fun. We all felt important for a moment. As well we should have given what we paid General Powell to come.
We finally sat down and he spoke to us before dinner was served. Everyone in that room sat on the edge of their chairs as he candidly shared his perspectives on leadership and the current world situations. He spoke unscripted for 55 minutes. The most interesting and inspiring speech I have ever witnessed.
When he finished speaking dinner was served and conversations at the table began. There were 5 couples, including us, at our table. 10 well-educated and successful individuals.
We had just heard tales of intrigue, personal anecdotes about world leaders, and a compelling vision for the future of our country. But within minutes the conversation at our table turned to: American Idol.

Lo and behold everyone at the table was an avid watcher. Granted we all had kids, but we had all been sucked in. We rattled off names of our favorite contestants and opined on who America would chose and why. Everyone at the table eagerly jumped into the conversation to offer their two-cents.
By the end of the evening there was a shared bond at our table.
I have no idea what my colleagues think about the Iranian threat or the looming Presidential election. But I do know one thing - everyone loved David Archuleta.
8 comments:
That cracks me up. The saddest part is that I am an american idol fan too. I know more about that show than I do about the goings on in the world. Pathetic. (I love David A. too. I think he's going to take it).
That is so hilarious! This is my first year watching and I'm hooked. It drives Russ crazy but I just can't help myself. And of course David is the winner. Come on.
Sorry, can't keep up with american idol but what did Colin Powell think of the candidates?
Mom
That's a very sad story. I despise American Idol.
I hope the little gay boy wins. You know who I am talking about!
David seems to be the fave. It'd be nice to see a superstar guy come out of that show, but I know Brooke White, so I'm rooting for her success.
I would have loved to see Colin Powell... that must have been cool. Um, and David Archuleta is so going to win American Idol. It's almost painful to watch everyone else sing because you know they are never going to make it.
Post a Comment